Thursday, August 09, 2007

The God of Second (and Third) Chances

Well, Carl did it again. He didn't have his rent money, again, since he went with some friends to Shreveport and drank and gambled it all away! (But at one point he was $2500 ahead! sigh....) So now he comes to The Gathering very contritely and cries and pleads for help. The father and rule-keeper in me wants to punish him and "teach him a lesson", and something does need to change, and quickly, for his own good. But then I have to wonder how this God of second chances I've been talking about looks at Carl, and me. Has he been faithful to forgive us (me) each time I've made a poor choice and then returned to him on my knees? I told The Gathering that a proper view of the nature of God allows and empowers us to live a life in the Kingdom, so, Greg, is he the "Great Rule-Keeper in the Sky" or is he the Father who loves me SO MUCH? Is my faith strong enough to allow me to forgive and sacrificially give? I don't get many opportunities like that, so I decided to give it a try this time, for "His steadfast love endures forever." The world is watching! HALLELUJAH!

No comments: