Friday, June 27, 2008

Everything You Do Is Important!

I joined the masses and read "The Shack". I was very skeptical, not because the premise was too radical, but because of the fervent evangelical mindset of some of those recommending it. You see, I've become very jaded in my opinion of the USAmerican Protestant Church, with its emphasis on maintaining the institution, watering down the "Cost of Discipleship", and its emphasis on "good management" (yes, that is too harsh a perspective, and I repent, on my better days, anyway). This book was a quick & easy read, but struck me as being too "preachy" at times in the manner of the "Left Behind" books.

But, here's a paragraph from near the end of The Shack which is beautiful, to me. Here the main character is getting final instructions from the voice of God:
“Everything you do is important. Every time you forgive, the universe changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will ever be the same again.” The Shack, p. 235, by William P. Young

That, my friends, will preach!

No comments: