Friday, September 12, 2008

But When Do You Share the Gospel?

I've frequently struggled with how to answer this question from some well-meaning (I hope) person asking about my ministries with the poor. I believe I am sharing the Gospel of Christ with each and every person I encounter throughout the day, especially during my work and conversations with the poor.

What they're really asking, however, is "When do you share the five-step plan of salvation and tell these poor people they must be baptized so they won't go to hell?" My belief and my response is usually similar to "I do not claim to be bringing Jesus into this neighborhood. I've found that God is already hard at work here, and I just want to join Him." Instead, I want to "be" Jesus to the needy, the poor, the oppressed, the humble, the oft-ignored residents of the streets, alleys, and rented shacks of our city, engaging in the kind of incarnational ministry He did. (see John 1:14) I have frequently found more faith among the poor than among my own socio-economic group.

The prophet Larry James shares how he reacts to such inquiries here and here and here.
Enjoy! The world is watching.....

No comments: