Sunday, June 17, 2007

Statement of Intentions

Being the rebellious baby-boomer that I am, "Rule of Life" just didn't find a spot in my brain that I could work with, so, after a week of contemplation, training and prayer I arrived at this Statement of Intentions for 2007 (at least the last half):
By the grace of God, and as an attempt to prepare myself for a deeper relationship with my Maker, I commit myself to:
1. Daily periods of at least 30 minutes of concentrated, contemplative prayer;
2. Daily periods of at least 30 minutes of Bible study including weekly lectio divina. I will at first attempt to set aside morning time for this study;
3. Weekly fast day (I think Mondays);
4. Weekly time of corporate worship, prayer and Bible study;
5. Weekly instance of personal service to a church member;
6. Weekly instance of personal service to a family member;
7. Weekly instance of personal service to the poor.
In addition, I desire to make headway this year with these three "Big Issues":
a. to find and build relationships with "fellow travelers" in the journey of spiritual growth;
b. to improve my relationship with my wife;
c. to speak only what love requires.
These are offered out of a sense of commitment and dedication, not as a means of bragging, for I fully expect to fail. After the week I've just had, though, I needed to set them out in plain sight. May God have mercy on me, a sinner!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr Grubb

Thank you so much for not only the words you share with me, but the life you live as a picture of Jesus. Thank you for your heart which inspires and encourages me to live a life worthy of the calling of Christ. Thank you for the passion and desire to grow, to love, to serve, and to imitate our Creator. I am so blessed by God in you and I want to thank you for the mentor you are as well as fellow sojourner.

I really do appreciate hearing the wisdom you have to share about poverty, the poor, wealth, materialism, etc. Especially knowing that Jesus has our best interest in mind - abundant life! - is a word I need to hear. Many times it is so easy to be caught up in what we are called to give that we forget the eternal life, grace, and salvation we are given. Thank you for reminding me of God's provision and grace as I live. And thank you again for all that you do and say. You do have beautiful feet.

Joshua