Monday, July 16, 2007

But our church is different!

I didn't write this, but it sounds eerily like my thoughts. With a tip of the hat to [rhymes with kerouac]:
"For reasons that even I don't understand, I've been serving as an elder in our church. I really believe God wanted me here, but have no idea why (yet). Our church has all the same flaws that I've already mentioned, and some that I haven't. What I've learned is that churches are complicated, unwieldy beasts with multiple layers of politics, history (personal and corporate) a diversity of theological stances on any one issue, petty ugliness and occasional glimpses of poetic beauty. It is possible that church can indeed propel good folks in their journey with Christ, can help to mold and shape them, can even liberate them. Friends - true friends can be found. Real ministry - in the finest sense of the word - can and does happen, but all of these things seem to happen in spite of the organization and not because of it. Good, bad, ugly, beautiful - church has it all. It's just that we absolutely must not mistake going to church for following Jesus."

No comments: